Thursday, August 16, 2007

MARY-AT-THE-VILLE

THIS POST IS DEDICATED TO MY MOM


I was just telling Lin about this incident yesterday. I don't know whether it's just purely annoying or hilarious. It was SOOOOO annoying when it took place but now, when i look back.. it's HILARIOUS!!

My mom and i are just total opposites. It's amazing how different we are.

STORY

Once upon a time, i was talking on the phone with my mom. We don't call each other often so, it was the time to talk about recent happenings etc. etc. etc. My mom has applied for PR to come over to Aussie and bring my sisters and brother along with her. If this plan works out, they'll be here next year. My 2nd sister, Eunice applied for this High School named...., "MARYATVILLE HIGH SCHOOL". The conversation goes.....

Esther: So, has the Maryatville (pronounced MAR -YAT as in "ya") school accepted Eunice's application? Any news from them?

Mom: What MaryAAAT??!! It's Mar-yat-ville!!! As in mary-at-the-ville!!!

Esther: *smacks head* OMGG!!! Same la!!

Mom: no!! it's not.... it's Mary-at-the-ville, Mary-at-the-ville... you know, MARY AT the VILLE??!!

Esther: *sighhhhhsss* Mummy!!!! For once, can u NOT correct everything??? *bangs head on table sounding annoyed*

Mom: Cannot.

Esther: aiyoooooooo!!!!!!! Fine fine! MARY-AT-THE-VILLE, okayyy????

----------SILENCE----------

Esther: *giggles*

Mom: *giggles*

Esther: Aiyoooo.... yea, as i was saying..............

And it goes on...

--------------------------------END OF 1ST SCENE----------------------------------------



Another incident during the same phonecall...


Esther: bla...bla....bla... (saying some stuff)

Mom: bla..bla..bla... (some more stuff). okla... bye!

Esther: *cluelessly* HUH????!!!! okla... bye??!!!

Mom: nothing to say already then bye la....

Esther: *smacks head...AGAIN* omygosh! ohhhkiiieeeeee....... why like that one!!! *SIGH*

Mom: I'm hungry, wanna go buy "pau".

Esther: ohhhkieeeeee......fine....

the convo goes on.......


---------------------------------END OF 2ND SCENE--------------------------------------


I almost got slap marks all over my forehead OhkAY!! Kept on smacking myself...LOL! (nah..jz over-exaggerating) =)


What's with English teachers and correcting MARY-AT-THE-VILLES??I understand if one wants to correct major errors in pronunciations, grammars etc. BUT mary-at-the-villes?? i seriously DO NOT care if Mary is at the ville or at the farm or baking cake in the toilet..Anyways, it was hilarious!!!LOL! Maybe it's this "skill" teachers are trained to have... Used to it already though..lol


Thank my mom for correcting me all those years since i was little though... if she hadn't i wouldn't be speaking and writing the way i am today...


Thank you TEACHERS and LECTURERS out there. Just don't get too carried away with Mary or even Marion... okiessss??!! haha!!


P/s: Mummy if u read this, don't u think that phonecall was funny?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooo all comin down.... maryatville I kno a few gals who went to tat sch last yr. Its more of a music sch. And its pronounced mary-yat-ville hahaa

esther said...

yeah... my sis plans to study music.. heard it's a good music sch... =) fine!!! may-yat-ville!!! heheh! =)

Cecilia said...

Hahaha! Yes, funny! I'll pass the story on to Rachel!